About Fuquay-Varina High School,
Past and Present
Present: Fuquay-Varina High School (FVHS) is located in the southernmost portion of Wake County, in one of the fastest growing communities in the area. FVHS pioneered 4x4 block scheduling in Wake County in 1995. FVHS is a comprehensive 9-12 high school that offers 15 AP classes to over 1850 students and a 4A athletic program that fields 20 varsity sports. The faculty of 135 includes more than two dozen National Board Certified Teachers, a Kenan Fellow, a Fulbright Fellow, the 2007 NC Environmental Educator of the Year, the 2007 Wake County Public School System Teacher of the Year, and the 2008 North Carolina North Central Region Teacher of the Year. Our principal, Mr. Edward McFarland, was awarded the Principal of the Year by the Wake County PTSA Council as well as the State PTSA Outstanding Educator for 2007. The FVHS campus features an on-site Freshman Center, a freshman transition class that is taken by all freshmen, and other programs designed to ensure a successful transition into high school. There is an after school tutoring program and study hall to help students academically. Over the past four years 87% of FVHS graduates went on to attend a college or university. FVHS is a Safe Schools Award recipient, and has achieved “high growth” in the state ABC evaluations the past two years.
History of FVHS: Fuquay-Varina High School has roots in two other high school sites and in several smaller schools. Opening at the current location in the fall of 1970, the school has operated under the name since the renaming of Fuquay-Varina in 1963. Prior to that, one of the schools had been called Fuquay Springs High School and the other school had been known as Fuquay Consolidated High School.
Ground breaking for the older of the two, Fuquay Springs High occurred in 1916 on Academy Street. Three elementary schools, one from the site of Sugg Funeral Home on Academy Street, the second located at Cardenas, and a third, on what is now Ballentine Dairy Road, known as Oakwood, were joined together to open the first local high school in 1918.
Students from Fuquay Consolidated High School and Fuquay Varina High School, formerly known as Fuquay Springs High School, officially joined as one Fuquay-Varina High School in the fall of 1970 on the Woodrow-Ennis Street complex (currently Fuquay-Varina Middle School).
Eventually, a new high school complex was proposed and the present site on Bengal Boulevard was purchased. In the fall of 1975; Fuquay-Varina High School moved grades 10-12 to the new campus; in 1977, the new school welcomed the ninth grade. Expansion of the cafeteria began in early 1990, followed by a second gymnasium, a new classroom complex known as the 300-400 halls, and renovations to the library and administrative wing, all opening in 1994. Parking lots were added to the campus followed by the classroom wing called the 500-600 halls in 1999.
"The mission of Fuquay-Varina High School
© 2013 FVHS. All Rights Reserved.